Like The Show? Leave A Rating: https://ratethispodcast.com/successstory
Find The Full Transcript Here: https://www.scottdclary.com/matt-higgins
About The Guest
As the CEO and Co-founder of RSE Ventures, a private investment firm focused on sports, media, and entertainment, Matt Higgins has always believed in the importance of trusting one’s instincts and not outsourcing one’s judgment. Growing up in Queens, Matt worked to support their family by selling flowers on street corners and working at McDonald’s. To transcend poverty as quickly as possible, Matt dropped out of high school at 16 to work full-time and enroll in college early.
Over the next decade, Matt earned a law degree from Fordham at night and began a career as the youngest press secretary in NYC history, where he helped manage the global press response to 9/11. He went on to become an executive for two NFL teams, found/invest in some of the most dynamic brands through RSE Ventures, and become a guest shark on ABC’s Shark Tank (seasons 10–11) as well as an executive fellow at Harvard Business School, where he co-teaches “Moving Beyond Direct-to-Consumer.”
- 00:00 — Introduction
- 01:08 — Matt’s origin story
- 07:23 — Enabling a sense of responsibility
- 10:15 — Burning the boat
- 15:23 — Framework for evaluating investments
- 22:05 — Backing the jockey, not the horse
- 22:50 — Why Shark Tank chose Matt Higgins
- 26:55 — What Matt looks for before investing
- 31:30 — Evaluating coachability and mission orientation
- 33:12 — Matt’s first investment
- 38:34 — Advice for people that are playing small
- 42:38 — Optimizing anxiety
- 44:39 — Going all in and failing
- 47:22 — Where can people connect with Matt Higgins?
- 48:09 — What does success mean to Matt Higgins?
Podcast & Newsletter Sponsors
- HUBSPOT — http://hubspot.com/successpod/
What is the Success Story Podcast?
Success Story Podcast Welcome to the Success Story Podcast, hosted by entrepreneur, business executive, author, educator & speaker, Scott D. Clary. On this podcast, you’ll find interviews, Q&A, keynote presentations & conversations on sales, marketing, business, startups, and entrepreneurship.
Scott will discuss some of the lessons he’s learned over his own career, as well as have candid interviews with execs, celebrities, notable figures, and politicians. All who have achieved success through both wins and losses, to learn more about their life, their ideas, and insights. He sits down with leaders and mentors and unpacks their stories to help pass those lessons on to others through both experiences and tactical strategies for business professionals, entrepreneurs, and everyone in between.
What did you think of today's email?
That’s a wrap for today, ladies & gents. See ya next week!
If you want more, be sure to follow our Twitter (@scottdclary)